Your Court Date
If you are required to go to court, you must abide by the rules of that courtroom. For information on courtroom rules you should look up the county court website or call the county courthouse for local rules.
Important Note: Due to the pandemic, your hearing could be held virtually, and it is essential you call the courthouse to get up-to-date instructions!
General Rules for Attending Court
Note: If the hearing is being held virtually, you still must abide by the court rules, including appropriate attire and being on time. Please also ensure you are in a quiet space where you will not be interrupted and have a clean background behind you.
Arrive at least 30 minutes early for your first court appearance if you don't have an attorney - it is first come, first served, so you will get out sooner if you arrive earlier. If you are running late, you MUST call your lawyer or the court and notify them that you will be late or risk being fined.
- Shoes are required. Do NOT wear flip flops of any type.
- No sleeveless shirts.
- No shorts.
- No exposed midriffs.
- No clothing displaying offensive words or pictures (the Court retains the exclusive right to define "offensive" on an individual basis).
- No drug or alcohol logos on clothing.
- No hats.
- Be clean. Comb your hair, wash your hands, trim your beard (if applicable).
- Infants and small children should be left with a sitter or at home in the care of a competent adult. There are no childcare facilities available. Loud or crying children should be taken out of the courtroom.
- Cellular devices or pagers are NOT allowed in the courtroom.